by Deb Alter
During the Village Hall renovations and upgrades this winter and spring, workers discovered a treasure in the basement. [private]It was covered with dust and dirt, but there it was, the original plaque dated 1905 from the original municipal building that burned on July 19, 1973. At the time, both the Village and the Town governments were located there. The stone plaque, which is carved in low relief, still shows signs of the fire and is so heavy that it took five guys to carry it upstairs. It has been mounted on the wall in the police station, and the Village is considering whether and how to have it cleaned. Many of the names on the plaque may look familiar.


[/private]
